As a last hurrah for Halloween and hello Bonfire Night I’ve made a delicious Spicy Pumpkin Soup, topped with Fermented Pumpkin (HERE) and Vegan Cheese.
This is a great way to eat your Halloween decorations now it’s all but over.
I have put all the spiders, rats, ghouls and rapping skeletons in their boxes and I’m left with loads of small pumpkins. (The larger carved pumpkins have been binned). The smaller ones are great for cooking.
Spicy Pumpkin Soup with Vegan Cheese and Fermented Pumpkin Topping
– I small pumpkin I used a harlequin Pumpkin about 450g when peeled and de-seeded.
– 1 large carrot cut into pieces
– 2 celery sticks
– 1 small red onion
– leek about 35g
– fresh ginger 10g
– 2 garlic cloves
– 2 tablespoons coconut oil
– 1 tablespoon bouillon powder
– 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
– 1/4 teaspoon cumin
– 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
– 500ml water
Topping – optional
– grated vegan cheese
– 1/2 tablespoon fermented pumpkin per person (when using the fermented pumpkin in the soup I normally don’t mix it with maple syrup as it’s not needed)
– pumpkin seeds
1. Pre heat the oven to 190C
2. Peel and de-seed your pumpkin.
3. Cut your pumpkin into pieces and mix with 1 tablespoon with coconut oil and let it roast for about 40 min or until soft.
4. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil to a pan and add first union and then all the other veg. When soft add the spices. Last add the roasted pumpkin.
5. Add the water and the stock powder. Let it simmer for about 5-10min.
6. Use a hand mixer and mix until smooth.
7. Serve and top with a tablespoon of fermented pumpkin, grated vegan cheese and pumpkin seeds.