I’m obsessed with fermented foods and this is why:
1. I’m adore the taste. I’ll take salty foods over sweet any day and fermented foods also comes with that intriguing umani flavour. No batch is exactly the same. This food is alive and kicking and you can taste that!
2. Growing and cultivating healthy bacteria brings out my inner urban farmer. Who know?! It’s so satisfying to grow “health” for your family, and It’s easy. Minimum effort, maximum result! My type of farming.
3. I end up with a large variety of probiotics. If I would only rely on probiotic supplements I would only get a limited number of species. We are just scratching the surface of the wonders of healthy bacteria. I feel safe knowing I get a large variety through my diet. Fermented vegetables also contain non-digestible carbohydrates that feeds and promote even more healthy bacteria along the way. Win Win!
Now Go Ferment! X
I adore vanilla! I add it to so many of my recipes even my otherwise savory favorite green smoothie recipe HERE. Have you noticed its near impossible to get hold of? It’s due to poor harvest in Madagascar last year when the Enwao cyclone destroyed everything in it’s way. 80% of vanilla pods comes from Madagascar and as a result of the storm prices have reached sky-high levels!
I have been stocking up on real vanilla this spring and I have a small stach. But it’s shrinking fast! Every time I go into a new super market I head straight for the baking/spice section and sometimes I’m in luck. Sainsbury in Hammersmith has been a particular good source lately 🙂
Vanilla is not only amazing for it’s beautiful aroma it also comes with health benefits!
Vanilla contains important antioxidants, protecting our bodies from damage and harmful free radicals. The antioxidant vanillin gives vanilla that amazing aroma but that’s not all it has powerful liver protective and anti-inflammatory action.
Have you ever tried Artichoke Tea? I can highly recommend it! Both for it’s fabulous health benefits and also for its delicious taste. The taste is smooth, sweet and softly woody, I take it with a drop of stevia.
Artichokes were used as a health food and as a digestive aid by the Egyptians and Romans, and has traditionally been taken as a health tonic in Asian countries for many ailments.
Here are 5 reasons why you should drink it on a regular basis:
1. Artichokes comes with fantastic antioxidant action which can protect the body against damage from free radicals and environmental toxins. (Among other things preventing premature aging).
2. You will also be adding Folate, Magnesium, Iron, Zinc and Vitamin A, B and C to your diet.
3. It helps to protect the liver and gall bladder, so excellent as a detox aid and because of that an extra bonus is clear skin!.
4.It’s soothing for the stomach, helping digestion.
5. It’s also a diuretic, preventing water retention. And is sometimes used as a weigh loss aid.
Happy Friday everyone!
There is still time to enter the Estelle and Thild Healthy Glow Foundation Giveaway below. I will announce the winner here tomorrow.
My phone has decided to give in. The screen is lit up and blinking like a disco. Hence complete radio silence on the social media front from me for a few days.
I was asked on Youtube to explain more about Tulsi Tea and it’s health benefits. Here goes:
Tusli or Holy Basil as it’s sometimes called is a principle herb in Ayurvedic medicine. Made from the leaves and flowers of the holy basil or tulsi plant cultivated in Thailand and India. I’ve found numerous clinical studies describing the therapeutic benefits it has on our bodies.
To name a few It has been proven to have an effect on type 2 diabetes as well as on immunity and inflammation. Basically you can say it assists with the bodys natural house-keeping.
Tulsi tea is also very good for combating stress and anxiety. Have a cup of freshly brewed tea before you go into that dreaded meeting. Or end the day with a relaxing cuppa.
I have heard the term “liquid Yoga” used to describe tulsi tea. Sums it up perfectly!
This tea is not only good for us, it tastes wonderful as well. You can get it in different flavours, but I prefer the bog-standard version.
Have a wonderful weekend!!
This video is about the amazing health benefits of raw garlic and why I take it almost every day.
(Forgot to mention that I make sure my garlic is organically grown)
* Matcha tea
* Tulsi tea
* Pau D’arco tea
* Yogi tea : Licorice egyptian spice, Sweet Chili, Rose
* Tea pigs: Liquorice and peppermint, Rooibos- Honey Bush
* Star Child: Aphrodites Cup
* Pukka: Cleanse, Detox
For sweetnes: Stevia white powder and Stevia green powder from a herbalist.
Stevia is an herbal non calorie sweetener, a completely safe sugar substitute.
The sweetner industry has tried to prevent the knowledge of this amazing plant with its great health benefits so that the non-safe artificial sweetner Aspartame did not encounter any competition!
They succeeded, until now.
From December 2011 Stevia has been approved for use in the EU.
I don’t want to dwell too much on this, its way to depressing that big businesses have the power to suppress something healthy, that would have helped a lot of people on the way, just to make money.
Well it’s over now.
Hurray for common sence!
I first came across Stevia, when I was seeing a health practitioner in the early nineties to get rid of my over the top sugar cravings. It really helped, but then suddenly I could not get hold of the stuff.
Stevia extract is about 300 times sweeter than sugar and it comes with added health benefits!
It has hardly no effect no effect on blood glucose, it actually balances blood sugar and can be used by diabetics , and did I mention it has virtually no calories!
Because Stevia is now legal in the EU you can find it in most shops, but read the labels, some Stevia products have a lot of fillers.
For me, the closer to nature the better. I want mine organic and pure and therefore I buy mine from a herbalist.
I get two different versions:
1. I use the White Stevia Powder as a sugar substitute only.
It has gone through a process making it 300 times sweeter than sugar, but completely safe for the whole family. For the kids hot chocolate I mix 1/2 pinch of Stevia, 1 teaspoon of pure cacao powder (from health shop) with hot rice or almond milk.
2. The Whole Leaf Stevia Powder is basically the leaves of the plant ground to a fine powder. It’s packed with goodness. Apart from balancing blood sugar it has also antimicrobial properties that can slow down growth of bacteria. I have heard of people using it for skin conditions like acne, excema and psoriasis, apparently it speeds up the healing process if you apply it on your skin. It’s 70% sweeter than sugar and also has a slight “green” taste, so I mostly use it in herbal teas.
One of the benefits of living in Sweden is that 17% of the whole country is covered in blueberry shrubs.
Most children have spent time on their knees picking wild organic blueberries in the dense magical woods.
Blueberries is a superfood for sure, they contain more powerful disease fighting antioxidants than any other fruit.
The berries are low in sugar but densely packed with nutrients.
They are absolutely loaded with antioxidants like anthocyanin, vitamin C, B complex, Vitamin E, A, Copper, Selenium, zinc and iron.
So way is wild organic blueberries a superfood?
First of all the antocyanin and ellagic acid have been proven to protect against cancer. It dissolves bad cholesterol and can strengthen the heart. The risk of getting diabetes is much lower if your diet contains blueberries.
Research also shows that eating blueberries makes your eye sight better, something RAF pilots during world war 2 know all about. They were munching on blueberries before a mission.
And they work their magic in the looks department as well, blueberries neutralizes the free radicals which affects aging. The list goes on..
It’s sometimes hard to get hold of wild organic blueberries. Cultivated blueberries does not contain the same amount of nutrients as wild ones, but the good news is that wild blueberries keep their goodness intact if you put them in the freezer.
When I can’t find wild berries I get organic cultivated ons and also wild blueberry jam, or a juice, like the one in the picture above which contains 100% wild blueberries, just to make sure I get as much of the goodness as possible.