Here are 5 good reasons why you should eat Fermented Foods.
There are far more than 5!
So don’t be surprised if you see another post with another 5 reasons very soon!
You probably know that I’m completely in love with lacto fermented foods, and I’m beyond pleased it’s become the next big thing.
1. Probiotic galore: Lacto Fermented foods contains plenty of friendly bacteria and can help restore the balance in our gut, that might be out of whack due to unhealthy diet, antibiotics, stress etc. We all know that taking a probiotic supplement is helpful for our wellbeing but by eating lacto fermented foods you get a wider variety of healthy bacteria and also loads more of them than if you only rely on a supplement!
2. Boosts absorption: Fermentation Improves absorption of Iron and other minerals .
The healthy bacteria help break down a substance called phytic acid which is found in grains and nuts and blocks mineral absorption. So fermented foods can enhance absorption of all the food on your plate.
3. B12 Factory: Lactobacillus makes Vitamin B12 – The energy vitamin.
B12 is mostly found in milk, meat and eggs. So deficiency is therefore common in vegans,
but research has found that B12 deficiency is also common in carnivores, and the older you are the more likely you are deficient in this very important vitamin, which is involved in the metabolism of all cells in the body.
4. Increased Immunity: Lacto fermented foods are awesome for keeping your immune system working to full capacity. A healthy gut equals a healthy immune system. The more healthy bacteria the more you increase your chances of fighting off infections. The gut is the first line of defence against pathogens and also aids in the production of anti-bodies.
5. It tastes so GOOD: The taste of the food changes when you ferment it.
It will be slightly tangy and mellow and well, just gorgeous in my opinion!
Bringing interesting new flavours to your food.
How to ferment Vegetables: