Artichoke is a nutrient dense superfood. An excellent gallbladder and liver detoxer (extremely good for me today after a late night at Da Polpo with a lot of wino) it’s packed with magnesium, chromium, manganese, potassium, phosphorus, iron and calcium. It’s also very low in calories, around 26 per artichoke!
This is how I like mine:
* Wash thoroughly
* Cut the stalk and trim the outer though green leaves right down
* Bring to boil and let it simmer for 20-40 minutes depending on the size, when you can easily pull a leaf off it’s done
* Drain well and place on a plate. Open up the choke and remove the inner tiny leaves with paper towel (it’s HOT)
*Shave the chokes beard off with a knife. The kids love this!
* Make tiny holes in the base. Add a knob of unsalted butter and Himalayan crystal salt or olive oil
* Pull off the leaves and dip in the melted butter and pull through teeth to remove the soft portion of the leaf.
* When all the leaves are finished, Tuck into the delicious bottom (now soaked with the butter or oilive oil) yum!